Thursday, December 15, 2005

I saw the greatest Karma Yogi!

Today the purpose of my life has been fulfilled. I have seen God! Yes, I saw the greatest Karma yogi. Last year, I saw a stunning news on Suntv, about a son - a farmer from Madhya Pradesh called Kailashgiri carrying his mother all the way from Bargi village near Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh to Rameswaram, to enable her fulfill her vow to visit the Lord Ramanathaswamy temple there by Padayathra!!!! He has been carrying her for the past 9 years!!
Thirty-four year-old Kailashgiri, carried his octogenarian mother in a basket, suspended on one side of a pole slung across his shoulder while on the other, he carried his mother's belongings, food etc in another basket. I was stunned when I saw the news..I have heard the story of a son who was carrying his parents during the Ramayana period. But never in my life did I expect to see someone carrying his mother on his shoulders and going on a padayatra to fulfill his mother's vow! When I saw this news - I desperately wanted to meet him and offer my humble prayers to this great Karma yogi.

And today while driving to Tiruttani - I met this great Saint - the greatest Karma Yogi I came across - he was carrying his mother on his shoulders and was running towards Tiruttani. I immediately asked my driver to stop - and told my mother about him - ran towards him - and touched his feet and his mother's. If it was not for the road - I would have just fallen flat on his feet! He didnt speak - but was just taking rest by circumbulating his mother! I felt very emotional since I have seen God in human form. In this age of Kali Yuga - where children dont even care for their parents - I am seeing an epitome of pure selfless love! The story of Kailashgiri is going to be a part of history and I am very happy that I have witnessed this part of history.

Its easy to become devoted to God and become a saint by living reclusively! But the greatest way of attaining spiritual liberation is by following one's duties and this incident is far above anything on earth! I was telling my mother - that I will never be able to do something like this and I felt ashamed for it! I am worse than a corpse!

Even though I have personally seen God before- I cherish this moment as one of the greatest moments of my life and thank my Arunachala for bestowing his grace on me to witness and experience Him as pure LOVE! Naan piravi payanai adainthu viten!

15 Comments:

At December 15, 2005 1:07 PM, Blogger Sriram Venkateswaran Iyer said...

Arjuna
Wow! Really moving post. In this age of rampant materialism, there is still some sanity and love.

And how come you happen to come across these nice people, go to Sri Arunachala, Tiruttani when the rest happen to freeze in Korea :-) (thats me :-) )

Sriram

 
At December 15, 2005 7:40 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

HI Arjuna,Quick note here.
I read/saw this person on TV a few months back...Looks like he is coming from all the way up North..to fullfil her mother's prayers.

He is certainly a great 'Karma Yogi'..I am so happy you got the chance to meet him.!!!

 
At December 16, 2005 12:04 AM, Blogger Aatma said...

Hi Arjuna, its great to hear that he walked all the way from north to rameshwaram to fulfill his mother's vow - but is he really fulfilling it [she is not walking so travelling by train would not have changed anything] - he has spent 9 years of his life just walking and imagine his mother confined in a small space - Even though u all seem so emotional about it - I feel for some reason - effort wasted - and no end result - He could have done so many other things for his mother - Don't know just felt voicing what i truly felt.

U said when u fell to his feet - he just looked around - what must he have felt - why did he chose to do it ?

One more thing - just like Visu movies we all keep saying that now a days kids don't take care of their parents - Most of my friends out here are taking care of their parents in the way they should - and most of the parents now a days don't depend on their kids. Probably there are quite some folks who don't take care of their parents - but we need to stop this generalized statements

 
At December 16, 2005 12:35 AM, Blogger TJ said...

Arjuna, Thats so blessed of you to meet that yogi.!!

you had taken his pictures??

 
At December 16, 2005 6:09 AM, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Parvati - thanks a lot :)..Its all because of Him - that I have come across such ppl :)

Sriram - I am laughing here :))...

Narayanan sir - thanks a lot :)

TJ - no boss - didnt take a pic :(

Aatma - nope I dont accept ur view :)..see the mother wanted walk and come to Rameshwaram - but since she is not fit to do it - her son is fulfilling her vow! Even in my case - I have done what my mother couldnt do - as a son - its his duty to fulfill her vow isnt it - I dont see ur point :)

 
At December 16, 2005 11:05 AM, Blogger Jeevan said...

Wow, i also saw him in Tv, he had taken his mother from kasi to ramaswaram, you had a great opportunity to have blesings from him. very nice of you Arjuna.

Did you went to thiruvanamalai for karthikai theepam?

 
At December 16, 2005 6:53 PM, Blogger Ganesh said...

Arjuna still in India ?

 
At December 17, 2005 5:21 AM, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Jeevan - thanks - no I didnt go for deepam..

Ganesh - yes I will be in London next sunday :)

 
At December 18, 2005 5:40 PM, Blogger expertdabbler said...

Hey nice meeting u.
And u meeting this person.

There is this thing which sumonk keeps saying as universal spirit.

About this karma yogi here r my 2 cents...

I like this man for one thing; he has defined his life this way and he is living by it.
The way i see it, i admire him for sticking to his meaning of life.
He does it bcos thats his purpose or reason for existence in this world. for the last 9 yrs he has been doing that - great.

but what makes u feel bad about yourself?(worse than corpse etc)

How about this interpretation ? - maybe this universal spirit does not want her mom to come to rameshwaram and maybe thats why she could not walk?

just bcos he is prepared to carry his mom does not make us inferior. nor does it make him god.
Loving ones mom, caring for her, worshiping her is all fine. agreed. but ones life purpose or mission need not be satisfying mom's every wish.

 
At December 21, 2005 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very touched to hear the story about this saint. i can't imagine what it takes to do something like that. its purely saintliness.

To hear it first hand from someone who actually met him, i feel lucky. Thanks for sharing it.

One of the things that can happen only in INDIA (i mean it in a good way)

 
At December 22, 2005 4:24 AM, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Prabhu - It was great meeting u too :)

Prasad - thanks :)

 
At December 22, 2005 1:12 PM, Blogger che sara sara said...

hi...so u r that who am i...??

 
At December 22, 2005 5:14 PM, Blogger crsathish said...

sir, unmayeelayae neenga peeravee payaanaa adanjeeteenga. btw, first time, unga blogukku varaen. romba nalla irukku. am also from madurai. i read a lot abt ramana maharishi too.

 
At December 23, 2005 9:32 AM, Blogger Saravana said...

Arjuna how are you buddy ... long time no communication with you ... how is it going in India ...

:)

 
At December 25, 2005 7:01 AM, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Sophia - yes I am :)

Sathish - thanks a lot :)

Saravana - dude - machi - romba sorry pa - was bc with loads of work - I am back in London - now we can chat happily :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home